London Appreciation Post: Part 1 - Notting Hill ♡

One of my favourite places in the world to be (a close second to Paris) is London. Luckily for me, where I live at the moment in Southampton is a quick two hour bus journey from London Victoria Coach Station. Twice in the last month I have been lucky enough to get to hop on the bus into London - once to meet one of my oldest and bestest friends Jackie (from New York, currently studying in Pastry School in France) whom I hadn't seen in five years (!!!) and the next weekend with Seán when he came over to visit as he had never been to London before and wanted to experience it.


Both times I got the 6:55am bus from the University which meant I was up since about 5:30am both mornings - a lot of caffeine was needed but it was SO worth it, I got to London around 9am so had the entire day to spend in one of my favourite cities.


This will be quite a photo-heavy post as I am going to combine both trips' photos as we went to a few of the same places both days. I love London so much and it meant the world to me to get to spend the day there two weekends in a row with two of my favourite people. When Jackie and I were reunited - after FIVE years - it was as though we had never been apart, we hugged and squealed and excitedly set off to explore London with her room mate Katie. Jackie and I were reunited again last weekend in Paris for her birthday, but that's a WHOLE other blog post (coming soon, I promise)! 

I have had to split these London posts into various different posts based on locations as I just had SO many pictures from both trips it would've been a bit ridiculous to try and put them all in one post (how many more times do you think I'll say post? Post). And anyway, I think they all deserve their own individual moments to shine.

Grab a cuppa, sit back relax and scroll through some of my favourite places to be. 


First up - Notting Hill. Honestly, I think I am happiest when I am in this place. There's something about the atmosphere, the buzz of it all, the hustle and bustle of all the people, the beautiful multi-coloured houses, all the stalls and quirkily little shops selling just about anything you could think of, and Portobello Market on a Saturday with the smell of the most incredible street food wafting through the air, and of course - most importantly - Hummingbird Bakery. My happy place. Notting Hill has to be up there with Paris as one of the places in the world where I am at my all time happiest. Of course, good company helps too :)






When I went with Jackie and her friend Katie, it was Valentine's Day (cue HUNDREDS of touchy feely couples within a constant two foot radius. Cute.. ) Thus: Valentine's themed cupcakes..




BEHOLD: The Black-bottomed Cupcake - (definition from Hummingbird's official website) "A decadent, dark and dense chocolate sponge, baked with a cheesecake centre, and frosted with cream cheese frosting." PRAISE ALL HUMMINGBIRD BAKERS EVER.



BEHOLD AGAIN: The beauties that are a Salted Caramel Cupcake and, of course, the all-time winner forever and ever - The Red Velvet Cupcake. Never, EVER does this cupcake disappoint. Take a bite and feel all your worries melt away.




Would you say I was enjoying that?

Red Velvet Moustache. Cl-ass-y.


Le Selfie Queen - Jackie Kay.



A little dog perched like a parrot on his owner's shoulder. How sweeeeet!



"We're all mad here."

Appreciate your people, people.

Mini multi-coloured meringues in Jamie Oliver's Notting Hill Store named Recipease. Each meringue had a different flavour/name. Pretty sure the pink one was called Unicorn Poop.


Take Two: Boyf Edition

I had not seen Seán in over a month when he came to visit which, for us, was a long time. It was great to be able to spend time together again and I really enjoyed getting to show him London!

 

"The Smoulder."



Hummingbird's FAMOUS Rainbow Cake. LOOK HOW PURDY. 


London Fashion Week cupcakes - SO COOL!

A Nutella Cupcake with Nutella Frosting topped with hazelnuts, and, of course, the almighty Red Velvet. These were DEVOURED within minutes as we sat patiently outside Electric Diner (a recommendation from Clare - thanking you kindly) waiting for our table.

Never more content than with a black coffee in his hand.


THIS GUY. Was playing the song at the start of Notting Hill ('She' by Elvis Costello) on his saxophone, and basically making multiple women swoon left, right and centre. Quite funny really. Despite his undressing people with his eyes, his music gave the whole place a great atmosphere and it actually made me feel like I was IN the movie (as I kept saying to Seán as we walked through the market: "You know Hugh Grant actually walked here? On this ground? Like RIGHT HERE? In the bit in the movie where he walks through the market when the seasons are changing?!" I am beyond excitable.)


Our burgers at Electric Diner. DELISH. Overpriced, but delish.


I hope you enjoyed this post showing you all my favourites parts of the beautiful place that is Notting Hill. One of London's greatest gems for sure. Still waiting to bump into Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts strolling through Portobello Market one of these days. *Siiiigh*




Thank you for reading, please check back soon for more London Appreciation posts from these two weekends - including Covent Garden, Big Ben, Camden and more. Stay tuned, lovelies!

Siofra



*N.B. - I apologise for my lack of posting recently, things have been pretty hectic and I honestly have not got the chance. BUT I am determined to start posting very regularly again and have lots of blog posts planned for the upcoming days and weeks. Stay Tuned!

P.s. Follow me on Instagram (@siofiee150112) for more travel photos and life updates!

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top